June 29, 2020
“Looking unto Jesus”
With Bishop Ronald K. Powell
OUR TEXT :
“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith . . .” (Heb. 12:2).
I. Look to Jesus in Everything
- “For in him we live, and move, and have our being” (Acts 17:28).
- Many Christians are ready to look to Jesus when trouble strikes, but when everything is going well, they lean on their own finite strength and fail.
- We must look to Jesus in everything—in good times as well as bad, in joy as well as sorrow, and in triumph as well as trial.
- The Scripture admonishes us to look to Jesus “that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” (Heb. 4:16).
II. Look to Jesus for Everything
- “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do” (John 14:13).
- Some Christians do not depend on the Lord to supply all their needs. They rely on self-effort and other people.
- They come to disappointment. We should look to Jesus for life, love, food, clothing, and shelter—everything. We are promised ample supply for all our needs, “according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:19).
III. Look to Jesus with Everything
- “And I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless” (1 Thess. 5:23).
- Some Christians fail to totally look to Jesus. They reserve a portion of their life for self. If we’re to be victorious, we must look to Jesus with everything—time, talent, and treasure.
- We must be totally dedicated to him.
- Paul urged us to “present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God” (Rom. 12:1).
IV. Look to Jesus Through Everything
- “After that ye have suffered a while . . . stablish, strengthen, settle you” (1 Peter 5:10).
- Christians may look to Jesus during happy times, but complain and even blame God when suffering strikes.
- God often allows suffering to strengthen our faith and fulfill his purpose.
- We must continue to look to Jesus and seek his purpose with patience and trust.
- When traveling through valley experiences, Peter advised, “But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ’s sufferings” (1 Peter 4:13).
- Bishop Ronald K. Powell
- “Looking unto Jesus”
- 1 Peter 4:13
- 1 Peter 5:10
- 1 Thess. 5:23
- Acts 17:28
- Heb. 12:2
- Heb. 4:16
- John 14:13
- Rom. 12:1
- “Looking unto Jesus”
- Crosswinds International