May 26, 2020
Partakers of a Divine Nature
With Bishop Ronald K. Powell
2 Peter 1:4-8 New King James Version (NKJV)
4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
Fruitful Growth in the Faith
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I- The Bible Promises Pardon That Converts
“Repent . . . and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19).
- God’s pardoning grace converts our will, ways, work, and walk.
“Old things are passed away” (2 Cor. 5:17).
- We must come to God just as we are in simple, trusting faith (Eph. 2:8).
- God’s amazing grace is sufficient to forgive all—adulterers, homosexuals, drug abusers—who repent and forsake their sins.
II- The Bible Promises Purity That Cleanses
“ . . . giving them the Holy Ghost . . . purifying their hearts by faith” (Acts 15:8, 9).
- Many Christians do not commit their will totally to God. They reserve a portion for selfish endeavor.
- When Christians totally surrender to God, the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses their hearts (see 1 John 1:7).
- Cleansed Christians are filled with God’s love. They glorify him and are a blessing to others.
III- The Bible Promises Peace That Calms
“And the peace of God . . . shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:7).
- Today’s world is searching desperately for peace, but to no avail. More conflict, stress, and strain abound than ever before.
- Peace can only be found in Jesus Christ. He promised,
- “My peace I give unto you . . . let not your heart be troubled” (John 14:27).
- Christ’s peace calms those who trust in him. To have his peace, we must simply accept the peace that he gives.
IV- The Bible Promises Power That Conquers
“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me” (Acts 1:8).
- Spirit-filled Christians are endued with power for service.
- They are ready to comfort the lonely, assist the homeless, and witness for Christ.
- The Spirit-filled are diligent in prayer and Bible study.
- They are enabled to overcome trials, troubles, and tribulations, and to become victorious over sin, self, and Satan.
- “Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4).
- The Scripture promises: “Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors” (Rom. 8:37).
- “Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God. 21 For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” (2 Corinthians 5:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)