June 1, 2019
The All Sufficiency of Christ Jesus
With Bishop Ronald K. Powell
- Paul writing in Colossians 2:10 says, “And you are complete in Him.”
- That means exactly what it says: the all sufficiency of Christ.
- You are, complete in Him.
1 Corinthians 1:30 English Standard Version
- 30 And because of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption,
2 Corinthians 12:9 English Standard Version
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Ephesians 1:3 English Standard Version
- 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,
Hebrews 10:14 English Standard Version
- 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.
2 Peter 1:3 English Standard Version (ESV)
- 3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,
Beyond Religion – A Relationship
- When a person receives Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, they enter into an all-sufficient relationship with an all-sufficient Christ!
Colossians 1:14 English Standard Version
- 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Religion VS Relationship
- Religion says “Do”
- Relationship says “Done”
Colossians 1:16 English Standard Version
- For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him.
Colossians 2:3 English Standard Version
- 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Colossians 2:9 English Standard Version (ESV)
- 9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
THE PROBLEM: AN INADEQUATE VIEW OF JESUS
- Paul had never been to Colossae (2:1), but had heard of a problem there
- Someone was teaching that in addition to Jesus, a Christian needs to adopt special “rules” – or else he/she really isn’t right with God
- To counter, Paul argues that in Christ we have all things necessary. He doesn’t need to be “supplemented” with anything!
THE “COLOSSIAN HERESY”
- Used deceptive arguments in a plausible manner
- Based on philosophy, human tradition, & the “elemental spirits of the world”
- Required circumcision
- Imposed rules about food & drink
- Involved observance of festivals & new moons, asceticism, & angel worship
- Supposedly based on visions
ROOT PROBLEMS WITH THIS HERESY
- It “took people captive”
- It passed judgment on those who resisted its teachings
- It was based on human arrogance (“puffed up”)
- It didn’t hold fast to “the Head” (Jesus)
- Its rules sounded wise & “spiritual” but were of no value in controlling the flesh
- Jesus is entirely adequate, b/c He is no less than God (1:15, 2:9)
- When we are buried with Christ in baptism, we receive all we need – no other “externals” are necessary (2:11-15)
- Christians have the responsibility to resist the imposition of human rules that do not come from Christ & that do not help control the flesh
- Once we have been “raised with Christ,” we should seek the things where Christ is & set our minds on heavenly – not earthly – things
- Having the right mind-set will cause us to behave properly toward one another
Colossians 1:12-14 King James Version (KJV)
- 12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
- 13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
- 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Colossians 3:4 English Standard Version (ESV)
- 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
Jesus Completes US
- Jesus brings complete salvation,
- complete forgiveness,
- complete victory,
- for you are complete in Him.
All you need in the spiritual dimension for time and eternity He gives;
And by faith, you receive it.
- Colossians 2:8 King James Version (KJV)8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.