January 18, 2017
Colossians 3:3-4English Standard Version (ESV)
3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
SOME THINGS MUST BE REMEMBERED
These last two verses of our text serve as reminders of some important spiritual truths today. We need to consider them before we leave these things behind.)
- v. 3a There Has Been A Death – We are reminded again that we have died to sin and to the influence of this world. One of the surest ways for the child of God to enjoy spiritual victory in his or her life is for that person to understand that they are crucified with Christ, Gal. 2:20. If we can get a grip on that truth and do what Rom. 6:11 tells us to do, we would grow deeper in the things of the Lord.
- v. 3b There Has Been A Deposit – When we were saved, we were given new life in Jesus. This new life imparts to us the “divine nature”, 2 Pet. 1:4. This new life guarantees the believer eternal security, 1 Pet. 1:5; Heb. 7:25; John 10:28. Because we are hidden in Jesus, we are in protective custody and none of the enemies of the soul can approach us, attack us or take us out of Jesus.
- v. 4 There Has Been A Dream – Paul closes this paragraph by reminding us that this world is not the best there is. We may have to deny our flesh down here, but it will be worth it all over there. We might have to battle Satan here, but we will enjoy victory there. When Jesus comes, our faith in Him will be vindicated and we will be glorified with Him.
Right now, every believer in this room battles the world, the flesh and the devil. Each of these enemies does everything they can to hinder us and to cause us to fail.
The devil has absolutely no power over us when our faith is in Christ.
“Greater is He that is in you, that he that is in the world.” (1 John 4:4)
Jesus said: “Behold I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.” (Luke 10:19)
One day, the battles will be over!
This flesh will be changed and remade in His image, 1 Cor. 15:53-54; 1 John 3:1-3.
We will leave this world with its sin, its evil, its problems, its devil and we will go to land of perfection to bask in the glory of our Redeemer forever, Rev. 21:4.
Right now, I have a dream. I dream of a day when I will go home. I dream of a day when I will see the Lord Jesus Christ. One day that dream will become a reality and I will be in His presence! That is what we need to remember as we fight the good fight of faith!
Conclusion: That’s a lot to take in, isn’t it? But, as we stand here on the cusp of a New Year, we need to take a good, hard look at our lives and at our walk with the Lord.
- Are there some things in your life that need to be retained? Does your focus need to be adjusted?
- Are there some things in your life that need to be released? Do you need to lay down some of the things mentioned in this message?
- Are there some things in your life that need to be remembered? Do you need to take a trip down memory lane and nail a few things down today?
If there are needs and the Lord has spoken to your heart, this altar is open. You mind Him! If you need to be saved, you can do that today. If He is calling you, then you need to come to Him and be saved.
Whatever the needs may be today, you should listen to the voice of the Lord and do what He us telling you to do. Let’s seek to make 2017 the best year of our lives for the glory of God!