April 20, 2019
The God of a Second Chance
With Bishop Ronald K. Powell
New King James Version (NKJV) (When Peter Was first Called)
- 4 When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”
- 5 But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.”
- 6 And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking.
1. The Declaration
Matthew 26:31–35 New King James Version (NKJV)
- Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial
- 31 Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:
- ‘I will strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’
- 32 But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee.”
- 33 Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”
- 34 Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”
- 35 Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!”
- And so said all the disciples.
2. The Denial
- Matthew 26:69-74 New King James Version (NKJV) / Peter Denies Jesus, and Weeps Bitterly
- 69 Now Peter sat outside in the courtyard. And a servant girl came to him, saying, “You also were with Jesus of Galilee.”
- 70 But he denied it before them all, saying, “I do not know what you are saying.”
- 71 And when he had gone out to the gateway, another girl saw him and said to those who were there, “This fellow also was with Jesus of Nazareth.”
- 72 But again he denied with an oath, “I do not know the Man!”
- 73 And a little later those who stood by came up and said to Peter, “Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you.”
- 74 Then he began to curse and swear, saying, “I do not know the Man!”
- Immediately a rooster crowed.
- Luke 22:60-61 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 60 But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are saying!”
- Immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Then Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how He had said to him, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”
- Luke 22:64 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 64 And having blindfolded Him, they struck Him on the face and asked Him, saying, “Prophesy! Who is the one who struck You?”
- Mark 15:17-19 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 17 And they clothed Him with purple; and they twisted a crown of thorns, put it on His head, 18 and began to salute Him, “Hail, King of the Jews!” 19 Then they struck Him on the head with a reed and spat on Him; and bowing the knee, they worshiped Him.
- Titus 1:16 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 16 They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.
3. The Decision
- John 21:3-6 New King James Version (NKJV) (After the Resurrection)
- 3 Simon Peter said to them, “I am going fishing.”
- They said to him, “We are going with you also.” They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing. 4 But when the morning had now come, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. 5 Then Jesus said to them, “Children, have you any food?”
- They answered Him, “No.”
- 6 And He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.
- John 21:18-19 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 18 Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish.” 19 This He spoke, signifying by what death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He said to him, “Follow Me.”
- Matthew 16:24 New King James Version (NKJV)
- Take Up the Cross and Follow Him
- 24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.
- Matthew 26:58 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 58 But Peter followed Him at a distance to the high priest’s courtyard. And he went in and sat with the servants to see the end.
- Acts 2:15-17 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 15 For these are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. 16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
- 17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
- Acts 3:6 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 6 Then Peter said, “Silver and gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk.”
- Acts 4:12 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
- Acts 5:15 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 15 so that they brought the sick out into the streets and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might fall on some of them.
Closing & Prayer
- What is the Holy Spirit saying to me through this message?
3. The Decision –
- The God of a Second Chance – Let’s Pray