May 9, 2020
The Role of a Godly Mother
With Bishop Ronald K. Powell
Titus 2:3-5 Living Bible (TLB)
3 Teach the older women to be quiet and respectful in everything they do. They must not go around speaking evil of others and must not be heavy drinkers, but they should be teachers of goodness. 4 These older women must train the younger women to live quietly, to love their husbands and their children, 5 and to be sensible and clean minded, spending their time in their own homes, being kind and obedient to their husbands so that the Christian faith can’t be spoken against by those who know them.
We hear every day about wicked mothers who do evil things every day, but I believe most people have good mothers who do their best. No mother is perfect / motherhood is no easy job.
Our culture has embraced as its greatest value personal happiness:
- The dangers of divorce, acceptance of sexual immorality, and a preoccupation with self-fulfillment have taken their toll on our families.
While our culture spins out of control and the family unit breaks down:
- The Bible lifts up the family and exalts the place of the woman in the family.
Motherhood is a ministry.
- It is a ministry of teaching, preparing children to follow God’s pathways, and being an example of the love of Jesus. Being Eagles…Faithful To God.
I heard about a missionary who was trying to stir up interest to get people to go to a foreign country to preach the gospel. At the end of the service a woman dragging a little boy behind her, told the missionary, “I just feel like God is calling me to be a missionary.” “He is, indeed” and pointing to the little boy, “And there’s the little heathen he wants you to preach to.”
Titus ministered in a pagan environment among Christians who had a background in such violence, dishonesty, and immorality that the Cretans were legendary for it.
- Titus 1:12 New International Version (NIV)12 One of Crete’s own prophets has said it: “Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.”
- The Christian Women were trying to be godly, but they were living in a supremely ungodly society.
What does it mean to be a Titus 2 Woman?
- Its counterpart is in Proverbs 31:10–31 which gives a very specific description of an excellent wife.
- Basically, a Titus 2 woman. is reverent in behavior, dressing modestly, not in a flirtatious manner, not gossiper or addicted to wine and a teacher of good things.
The older women are exhorted to teach / train the young women in the noble, excellent, and beautiful things of life. The older women are to teach the young and mothers How to be a Godly Mother in an Ungodly World.
- This is ancient advice with contemporary power.
- Love Your Husband (4)
- The marriage relationship takes priority.
Marriage—Christ and the Church
22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
- Ephesians 5:22-33 lays down the principles that should govern the home where the husband and wife desire to love each other in the will of God.
When the marriage relationship is priority:
- The wife and husband will be the most fulfilled.
- The children will learn how to have successful marriage.
- The wife and husband will both be aware of the dangers of placing other pursuits as priorities above the marriage relationship.
- This is in contrast to the ungodliness of our world where personal happiness is placed above every other priority.Godly Mothers in an Ungodly World love their husbands.
Love Your Children (4)
- Loving our children does not mean: Giving them everything they want;
- does not mean: Making sure that they keep up with the world;
- does not mean: Make their own religious decisions.
Loving children requires:
- Discipline. Proverbs 23:13-14 “Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die. Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.” Discipline is a sign of love.
- Instilling the Christian world view
- Teaching them to love Jesus Christ.
- Caring for their spiritual, emotional, and physical needs.
- Psalm 127:3-5 English Standard Version (ESV)
3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb, a reward.
4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth.
5 Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
- 2 Timothy 1:5 “I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.”
Godly Mothers Love your husband and children.
Develop Christian Character (Four Areas)
- Be Self-Controlled
- discreet KJV;
- sensible NASB;
- live wisely (NLT). This means to be sober minded. The young woman is to think about what She is doing with her life. The Cretans were known for a lack of self-control.
This is a fruit of the Spirit – it influences all we do.
- 1 Timothy 2:9 “… women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control…”
Be Pure (5).
- This relates to a commitment to your marriage vows.
- This relates to spiritual influence in the home.
- 1 Peter 3:1-2 “Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives- when they see your respectful and pure conduct.”)
This relates to the image of purity. Christian women are to be chaste, modest, pure in heart and mind. Think in terms of speech, dress, all relationships. Christian mothers need to pass these on to children.
- Work at Home.
In the time of Titus, there were false teachers who were dividing families with their teachings. Many worldly elements work against families today. Paul is not prohibiting women working outside the home, but he clearly urges that the home take a position of priority in our lives. Christian homes are created, they do not just happen.
Barclay: “It is the simple fact that there is no greater task, responsibility and privilege in this world than to make a home.”
- Be Kind. Kindness deals with doing good, being benevolent toward others, hospitality. Having a giving nature.
- Submit to Your Husband. God has created an order which includes a masculine ‘headship’; not of authority…. but of responsibility and loving care.
- “Where love and mutual respect rule the home there will be little problem with submission on the part of the wife…The husband is not a dictator, but he exercises his headship primarily by service. This is the same way that Jesus expressed his headship over the church.”
- These character qualities are quite different than what was common among the Cretans, …and they are not common in our culture either.
I heard about a little boy sitting on his front steps with his face cradled in his hands, looking so forlorn. His dad came home just then & asked him what was wrong. The little boy looked up & said, “Well, just between us, Dad, I’m having trouble getting along with your wife, too!”
The Mom Ministry is one of the toughest assignments God ever gave anybody!
- She’s got to be as insightful as a psychologist, tough as a marine corps drill instructor, gentle as a nurse. She’s got to be a labor and management negotiator. A teacher, an electrician, a plumber and a carpenter…. It requires an endless supply of energy, a massive amount of patience, and iron will, and recognition of the fact that if she ever gets sick, she’s got to get well before the end of the school day.
- 600 college students were asked to write down the most beautiful word in the English language. 422 of them wrote the word “mother”.
- Being a Godly Mother in an Ungodly World isn’t an easy task. We need to pray for our mothers often.