Overcome evil with good
June 2, 2020
Overcome evil with good
I. Conquer with God’s Word
- “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee” (Ps. 119:11).
- Discover God’s Word “Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes” (Ps. 119:12).
- The psalmist asked God to teach him his Word. We should do likewise.
- Discovering God’s promises means finding those that apply to our area of need.
- A good concordance and reference Bible help us locate them.
- We discover God’s Word when we trust him to reveal it to us.
II. Digest God’s Word
- “Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law” (Psalm 119:18).
- Webster says that digest means “to think over and absorb.”
- We need to delve into God’s promises, studying and pondering them. (Good commentaries help.)
- Let us absorb God’s Word until we are absorbed by it. Partake of God’s Word. Digest it.
- The psalmist wrote “O taste and see that the LORD is good” (Psalm 34:8).
III. Delight in God’s Word
- “And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved” (Psalm 119:47).
- Some do not delight in God’s Word. Reading it is a duty to be performed.
- Their negative attitude brings spiritual defeat.
- Delighting in God’s Word enables us to be conquerors. “They are the rejoicing of my heart,” said the psalmist (Psalm. 119:111).
- Christians who delight in God’s Word love his Word, obey his Word, and are victorious through his Word.
- Let us claim the promises with praise (see Psalm 119:165).
IV. Depend on God’s Word
- “Forever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven” (Psalm 119:89).
- Many Christians do not depend on God’s Word as they should. They rely on self-effort or other people too much—and thereby fail.
- If we are to conquer, we must depend on God’s Word. It never fails.
- “There hath not failed one word of all his good promise” (1 Kings 8:56).
- Few things in this life are trustworthy. Possessions fail, pleasures fade, popularity falls, and people falter.
- “But the word of the Lord endureth forever” (1 Peter 1:25).
- Romans 12:21 New King James Version (NKJV) “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”
- Romans 8:37 English Standard Version (ESV)” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”
- 1 John 5:4 English Standard Version (ESV) “For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.”
- Revelation 12:10-11 English Standard Version (ESV) “ And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, “Now the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Christ have come, for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God. And they have conquered him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, for they loved not their lives even unto death.”