April 6, 2019
The Lord is Faithful to all His Promises
with Bishop Ronald K. Powell
Psalm 145:13-14 New International Version (NIV)
- 13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
and your dominion endures through all generations.
- The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises
and faithful in all he does.
14 The Lord upholds all who fall
and lifts up all who are bowed down.
- PROMISE DEFINED:
- 1 : a declaration that one will do /or refrain from doing something specified
- b : a legally binding declaration that gives the person to whom it is made a right to expect or to claim the performance or forbearance of a specified act
- 2 : reason to expect something little promise of relief especially : ground for expectation of success, improvement, or excellence shows considerable promise
- 3 : something that is promised
Song Standing on the Promises of God
God is immortal. He’s divine. He doesn’t forget.
When God makes a promise… He keeps it.
In Isaiah God declared: “What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do.” Isaiah 46:11b
And again God said, “Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand.” Isaiah 14:24
GOD STANDS ON HIS PROMISES.
- And God’s people in the Old Testament learned to rely on those promises:
- The writer of the 119th Psalm said: “Your promises have been THOROUGHLY TESTED, and your Servant loves them.” Psalm 119:140
Hebrews tells us that no matter what promises God made in the Old Testament “… the ministry Jesus has received is … founded on BETTER promises.” Hebrews 8:6
Peter tells us:
- “His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.
- Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.” 2 Peter 1:3-4
So what kind of promises did Jesus give us?
- Jesus has given us BETTER promises than those the Old Testament Saints received.
- These promises give us everything we need for Life and Godliness.
- In fact, these promises help us “participate in the divine nature, AND they help us escape the corruption in this world.
Ephesians 3:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 20Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
- More than we ask or think
Before We are ASKING
- Isaiah 65:24 New King James Version (NKJV)
- 24 “It shall come to pass
- That before they call, I will answer;
- And while they are still speaking, I will hear.
- In a world of broken promises, God can be counted on. I thought it would be good for us to soak up some Scriptures that speak of God’s promises.
- This list is by no means exhaustive but I hope to increase our understanding that God loves to make and keep promises for His people.
- Numbers 23:19: “God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?”
- Deuteronomy 1:11-12: “May the Lord, the God of your fathers, increase you a thousand times and bless you as he has promised!”