September 22, 2018
The Law of Loss
BISHOP RONALD K. POWELL
Matthew 16: 24
When loss is Gain! (RICH YOUNG RULER) Matthew 19.16–22
- “Whosoever seeks to save his live will lose it, and
- Whosoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”
Matthew 16:24-26 King James Version (KJV)
24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
25 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.
26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
Salvation That Leads To Self Denial
- We are saved by Faith To make Jesus Lord of our existence!
- LORD: Greek – ‘kurios’, a supreme master.
- Heb. ‘adon’, means one possessed of absolute control. It denotes a master, as of slaves ( Genesis 24:14 Genesis 24:27 ), or a ruler of his subjects (Genesis45:8 )
These words of Jesus are familiar words.
- We dare not do this with this verse. Why? Because of it’s importance.
- Notice what is at stake here. Jesus is talking about losing your life!
- He is talking about how to find true life in God.
- If we don’t get this right, nothing else is going to be right in our Christian life either.
- This verse is clearly talking about the most important thing imaginable: Life in Christ.
- And it’s telling us how to either lose it or find it.
Jesus is stating, in this one sentence, a principle of the Kingdom
- It is so important that it might be said that it is a Kingdom governing principle!
- It is, in fact, a description of how creation functions.
- Embodied in this one statement of Jesus is the Plan of Salvation! (You Need a Savior) You can’t save yourself!
- The process of growth, and a revelation of what the relationship between God and His church is supposed to be. In this verse is the HOW and the WHY of these realities.
Acts 17:28 King James Version (KJV)
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
Proverbs 3:6 New King James Version
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
- Shall is a irrevocable Legal term meaning It can’t be changed!
- Jesus says; “If you want to find your life, then lose it.
- But if you want to lose your life, then try to save it.”
- If we put this down as a simple equation, we get this:
- Seek to SAVE your life = LOSE it.
- LOSE your life in Christ = SAVE (i.e., find) it.
This is the opposite of how human nature thinks.
- We think that if we are to save our lives we must be in control of our choices and therefore our destinies.
- Simply put, Jesus is talking about self-ownership.
- If you are full of yourself, your choices then you don’t have a Lord and Savior other than yourself. And that’s not salvation!
- Surrender is the plan. Make Him King. Make Him Lord and Controller of your steps.
Matthew 7:22-23 New King James Version
22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
- If we do surrender, then we will experience what real life in Christ is all about. We’ll actually experience resurrection in Jesus.
- He is saying, “I have called you for a purpose. You had nothing to do with it. It was completely by My grace.
- But now that I have called you, you must choose. You must choose to either surrender yourself to Me, or hold onto yourself.”
Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust (desires) of the flesh.
Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Matthew 19:29 King James Version (KJV) 29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
Romans 12 :1-3(KJV) 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 3For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.