October 30, 2019
Biblical Qualifications of Church Leaders: Part – 3
6-Does the person model Compassion for others?
Acts 20:28 Living Bible (TLB)
28 “And now beware! Be sure that you feed and shepherd God’s flock—his church, purchased with his blood—for the Holy Spirit is holding you responsible as overseers.
1 Peter 5:2 Living Bible (TLB)
2 Feed the flock of God; care for it willingly, not grudgingly; not for what you will get out of it but because you are eager to serve the Lord.
- Does the person reflect a concern for helping lost people find Jesus?
- Does their heart beat fast when discussing ministry opportunities to reach people who haven’t heard about Christ?
Is the person really called?
Galatians 1:1-2 Living Bible (TLB)
1 1-2 From: Paul the missionary and all the other Christians here.
To: The churches of Galatia. I was not called to be a missionary by any group or agency. My call is from Jesus Christ himself and from God the Father who raised him from the dead.
- Does the individual consider this to be an appointment from God or from men?
- Is there a clear sense that this is God’s calling? Is it God’s will?
This list, though not comprehensive, gives us a picture of what God has in mind for Biblical leadership.
As you can see, leaders are held to a higher standard.
Not all Christ-followers are qualified to lead.
And not all potential leaders are qualified to lead now.
For some, it may take time to close a gap.
Where there’s a gap in your commitment, it may take time for spiritual formation to occur.
- Where there’s a gap in character, it may take time for redemption to take hold.
- Where there’s a gap in conduct, it may take time for appropriate repentance and restoration.
- Where there’s a gap in comprehension, it may take time for wisdom and understanding to develop.
- Where there’s a gap in capacity, it may take time for coaching and mentoring to expand perspective.
- Where there’s a gap in compassion, it may take time for Kingdom perspective to expand.
- Where there’s a gap in calling, it may take time for God to speak.